Here are two more interesting emails I have got lately.

I hope you find the emails and my thoughts useful…


Email #1

In reply to my email the other day about how playing guitar can be an attractive trait, this is what Susan said…

“I’m not sure about guitar playing making me more attractive, but it sure helped a very shy teenager become more self-assured and truly increased her self-worth.

I find that the arts are both healing and character building as we can discover abilities in ourselves that are truly astounding.

Thank you again for your amazing insights. I sincerely appreciate your insightful words”



Susan has been on the email list for quite some time.

Years, if my memory serves me correctly.

She occasionally replies and always has some interesting insights herself.

It’s a great reply and shows how playing guitar can be transformative.


I often talk about how the guitar has changed my life.

(I think my life would be vastly different, less happy, and far more boring without the guitar).

It’s great to read Susan’s words about how it made such a difference in her life.

A little retrospection like this can be a good thing – especially if you ever get stuck with your playing.


Learning guitar takes bottle, and as we know it will test you.

Sometimes you only need to look back at the past for a few minutes to see how far you have come on this journey.

…Both as a person and a player.


Email #2

Regarding the email about my custom picks the other day, this is what Shirley said…

“Interesting subject. I looked and looked and found some picks that worked for me but I seem to need the feel of the strings under my fingers to make the music sweet.

I need to feel the vibration which sounds silly. I’ve played songs with and without and finally even the teacher said  

‘Just toss the pick. It sounds too much better without it.’”



Interesting this.

Most of us have a preference in terms of playing with a pick versus without one.

Even if you’re a pure fingerstyle player, there are some good benefits to being able to use a pick (and vice versa).

…But I wouldn’t advise a student to “toss the pick”.

It sounds like the teacher is taking the easy option here – why doesn’t he just give her some technical tips on using the pick better?


Am I being harsh on the teacher?


But I never like lazy teaching and I could be wrong, but that sounds a little lazy.


Anyway, I do totally get what Shirley says about feeling the vibration of the strings.

Probably why so many of us here love to fingerpick.

I love being connected to the string like that – especially as I tend to play fingerstyle 80% of the time and use a pick the other 20% of the time (although that can change depending on what I’m playing and practising).


Lately been talking a fair bit about the picking hand – fingerpicking and picks, etc.

…But let’s change that up a bit.

And let’s talk about the fretting hand – particularly barre chords.

Over the weekend, my barre chords course is on sale.

It’s not cheap, but this is a big, full course that can be a game-changer if you’ve struggled with barres so far – and it will help with all your technique not just barres.


If you want to check it out, you can on the link below.

The Ultimate Guide to Barre Chords


Have a great Friday!

Dan Thorpe

Guitar Domination


P.S. This post was originally taken from Dan Thorpe’s private email list. To get blog posts like this sent to you which are full of great tips to make fingerpicking, strumming, and learning guitar more enjoyable (especially if you are over 40) join Dan’s list. It’s 100% free, HERE.

Add Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.